Wizard’s of the Coast just announced this afternoon that on November 3rd, they are releasing the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, the first official setting sourcebook for D&D 5th edition for $39.95 (C$46.00). It’s great to see a D&D sourcebook to support Sword Coast adventurers on the tabletop and in the video game. Learn more in official the press release below.
Get everything you need to adventure in the Forgotten Realms on the exciting Sword Coast, home to the cities of Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter! A collaboration between Green Ronin Publishing and the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide provides D&D fans with a wealth of detail on the places, cultures, and deities of northwestern Faerûn.
The Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is also a great way to catch up on recent events in the Forgotten Realms, to get background on locations featured in the Rage of Demons storyline coming in September, and to learn the lore behind video games like Neverwinter and Sword Coast Legends.
Here are just a few of the features you’ll find in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide:
- Immersive Adventuring: This campaign sourcebook provides players and Dungeon Masters material for creating vibrant fantasy stories along the Sword Coast.
- New Character Options: The book offers new subclass options, such as the Purple Dragon Knight and the Swashbuckler, for many of the classes presented in the Player’s Handbook, as well as new subraces and backgrounds specific to the Forgotten Realms.
- Adventure in the Forgotten Realms: Discover the current state of the Forgotten Realms and its deities after the Spellplague and the second Sundering. You’ll also get updated maps of this area of the Realms.
- Compatible with Rage of Demons storyline: Make characters for use with the Out of the Abyss adventure and fight back the influence of the demon lords in the Underdark below the Sword Coast.
- Insider Information: Learn the background behind locations, such as Luskan and Gracklstugh, featured in the upcoming digital RPG, Sword Coast Legends, from n-Space.
With new character backgrounds and class options, players will love the storytelling possibilities of playing a noble of Waterdeep, an elf bladesinger, or one of the other new options, while Dungeon Masters will relish a book full of mysterious locations and story hooks to keep Dungeons & Dragons players adventuring on the Sword Coast for years to come.
Look for Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide to be available on November 3.
Come adventure on the Sword Coast!
Some Quick Thoughts:
- In the press release they do not mention a price, but they do call it a book and you can see the price is $39.95 (C$46.00) if you visit the product page on D&D’s site. So save up your money to buy the video game and a couple of books this fall.
- I’m wondering if this book will be required or highly recommended for running the Out of the Abyss adventure. Having another book would give some of the page count back to the actual adventure that we saw filled by Genasi and Spells in Princes of the Apocalypse.
- The original bladesinger was from the 2nd edition Complete Book of Elves. It was also made available as a prestige class from back in D&D 3.5 for elves (and in rare cases for half-elves).
- We’re seeing the Swashbuckler that was released back in an Unearthed Arcana previously this year. It will be interesting to see how similar the final is to the playtest ready subclass (and what other playtest materials appear).
- Presenting lots of setting specific backgrounds is an awesome way for players to customize their Player Characters for the Sword Coast region of Faerûn.
ADDED 9:30pm ET: The product page on the D&D site also adds…
WELCOME TO THE SWORD COAST—a region of Faerûn that comprises shining paragons of civilization and culture, perilous locales fraught with dread and evil, and encompassing them all, a wilderness that offers every explorer vast opportunity and simultaneously promises great danger.
While the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is a valuable resource for Dungeon Masters, it was crafted with players and their characters foremost in mind. There is a plethora of new character options to intrigue and inspire every member of the adventuring party.
For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide provides the setting, story, and character options needed to participate in a game anywhere along the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms.