I finally was able to get a copy of the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide on Monday and I really like the book. SCAG is full of both background information on the Sword Coast and some character options. We now have answers to 2 big questions:
- What can I use when I create a new character for D&D Adventurers League?
- Can I rebuild an existing D&D Adventurers League character with these options?
Here is my summary…
- Regardless of story origin (season), you can use SCAG options, but…
- If your character possesses the Elemental Evil story origin you have to choose from Elemental Evil Player’s Companion or the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide
- Everyone gets a chance to rebuild their character with SCAG content, even those over 5th level
- The following rules options are either not allowed, or are restricted in some way:
- The “Winged” option granting a fly speed for tieflings is not legal for D&D Adventurers League play. Cosmetic wings from the “Appearance” option that don’t grant a fly speed are fine.
- Races or other options that are mentioned but whose rules are found in another source (i.e. aasimar or genasi) do not become legal without other campaign documentation unless that source is also legal for your character’s story origin.
- The Inheritor background requires additional guidance. You may roll on the random table provided in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide as normal, but if you decide to choose your item, it must be a non-consumable item found in the Player’s Handbook worth 75 gp or less. Whether you choose to roll randomly or pick your inheritance, you may choose to have your inheritance be entirely mundane or possess a minor magical quirk. If you wish your item to have minor magic quirk, you may choose to either have your inheritance glow with the light of a candle or you may select an option from the “What Quirk Does It Have?” table found in the Dungeon Master’s Guide to determine what quirk it possesses instead.
- The D&D Adventurers League Player’s Guide will be updated with this information next season.