Volo’s Guide to Monsters, a new hardcover book of monsters for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, is releasing Fall 2016. The book features new monsters for a Dungeon Master to unleash on his players, lore and lairs for classic monsters, and new playable races.
About the Book:
- This book will be released on November 15, 2016
- It is 224 page hardcover book and will cost US$49.95 (C$63.95)
- We’ll get over 100 new monsters
- Lore on classic D&D monsters (and lairs?)
- There will be a limited edition cover available only from game stores
From the official product page:
Research has never been so dangerous…
Explore the breadth of D&D’s monsters in this immersive 224-page volume filled with beautiful illustrations and in-depth lore. Volo’s Guide to Monsters provides something exciting for players and Dungeon Masters everywhere!
The esteemed loremaster Volothamp Geddarm is back and he’s written a fantastical dissertation, covering some of the most iconic monsters in the Forgotten Realms. Unfortunately, the Sage of Shadowdale himself, Elminster, doesn’t believe Volo gets some of the important details quite right. Don’t miss out as Volo and Elminster square off (academically speaking of course) to illuminate the uninitiated on creatures both common and obscure. Uncover the machinations of the mysterious Kraken Society, what is the origin of the bizarre froghemoth, or how to avoid participating in the ghastly reproductive cycle of the grotesque vargouille.
- Dive deep into the story behind D&D’s most popular and iconic monsters, including beholders, mind flayers, and the yuan-ti, as well as classics like orcs, gnolls, and kobolds.
- Gain access to rules and story for dozens of monsters new to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons, such as the froghemoth, the neogi, and the vargouille.
- Open up new race options, including the goblin, the orc, and the firbolg.
This book will be broken down as follows:
- Chapter 1: Monster Lore takes several iconic D&D monsters and provides additional information about their origins, their dispositions and behaviors, and their lairs—above and beyond what is written in the Monster Manual.
- Chapter 2: Character Races presents character races that are some of the more distinctive race options in the D&D multiverse.
- Chapter 3: Bestiary provides game statistics and lore for nearly one hundred monsters suitable for any D&D campaign.
“Dungeon Masters and players will get some much-needed guidance as you plan your next venture, traipsing about some dusty old ruin in search of treasure, lore, and let’s not forget … dangerous creatures whose horns, claws, fangs, heads, or even hides might comfortably adorn the walls of your trophy room. If you survive.”
Hobby Store Exclusive
“Volo’s Guide to Monster also comes in a limited edition format, exclusive to core hobby stores, featuring an alternative-art cover, beautifully illustrated by Hydro74. This version of the book will only have a single printing. Use the store locator to find a hobby store near you.”
The decision to provide a limited edition cover to game stores is a really great way to push people towards their FLGS (Friendly Neighborhood Gaming Store) and away from Amazon, which is good for D&D’s organized play (Adventurers League) and the overall hobby.
Here is a shot of the exclusive cover:
Visit the Official Product Page