Betrayal Legacy – Avalon Hill Games
The game is coming out in November, you can preorder here at Amazon: https://amzn.to/2q8H05U
I am getting very excited as the release date is creeping up on me. I will be getting a copy of this game as soon as it comes out, and sharing the experience that I have playing it next month. I really like the Legacy games that I own, and I have high hopes for this one. I was very fortunate to meet Rob Daviau last year at PAX Unplugged 2017, and I am glad that they put in a lot of work on the playtesting and design.
Betrayal Legacy marries the concept of Betrayal at House on the Hill — exploring a haunted mansion — with the permanency and multi-game storytelling exhibited by Daviau’s Risk Legacy and other legacy games that followed. Betrayal Legacy consists of a prologue and a thirteen-chapter story that takes place over decades. Players represent families, with specific members of a family participating in one story, then perhaps an older version of those characters (assuming they lived) or their descendants showing up in later stories.
Why would people keep exploring a haunted mansion for decade after decade, especially when horrible things happen there? Curiosity, I suppose, or perhaps an ignorant boldness that comes from the belief that we know better than those who have come before. Look at all that we’ve learned, marvel at the tools we have at hand! Surely we’ll all exit safely this time…
As with other Betrayal titles, the game is narratively-driven, with elements that record the history of your specific games. The tools mentioned earlier, for example, become attached to specific families. This isn’t just a bucket; it’s my bucket, the one my grandpappy used to feed his family’s pigs when he was a boy, and while you can certainly use that bucket, I know how to wield it best from the time he spent teaching me how to slop. Yes, it’s an heirloom bucket, and when kept in the family, I get a bonus for using it.
- For 3-5 Players. Ages 12 and up
- Utilizes the popular “legacy” mechanic, offering players the chance to customize their game and create a unique experience.
- A prologue and 13 chapters comprise the “Legacy” campaign. Includes 52 brand new haunts.
- Betrayal Legacy tells your history of the house. Each house will have a different history.
- Chapters span from 1666 to 2004. Each chapter has several possible outcomes, which will shape your story and your game. Players take on role of a family member across many generations.
- 1 Rulebook
- 3 Haunt books (Traitor’s Tome and Secrets of Survival)
- 71 Room tiles (including 4 starting tiles)
- 1 numbered track
- 1 sticker sheet
- 5 prepainted plastic family figures
- 20 plastic clips
- 5 plastic rings
- 8 Dice
- 7 Item cards
- 11 Event cards
- 1 Traitor card
- 1 Monster card
- 2 Legacy decks
- 5 Family cards
- 122 Tokens
- And much more