New D&D Movie Will Be Set in Forgotten Realms and Have ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Tone
With both Warcraft (this year) and WB’s D&D movie (in development) both coming to theaters, it looks like fantasy could already be the next big franchise thing. Matt Goldberg just wrote an exclusive article on Collider about the upcoming D&D movie and it having a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. I loved GotG and think this is a really great direction to capture the feeling of a group of adventures coming together to save the day.
The movie will be much different than Peter Jackson’s fantasy movies set in Middle Earth. The D&D movie has been reported to be:
- set in the Forgotten Realms
- will not have characters teleported from our world.
- focused on an ensemble group, taking a Guardians of the Galaxy tone (check out my D&D Guardians of the Galaxy character builds)
- feature the Yawning Portal as a central set piece… so we’ll likely see Waterdeep and the Undermountain
- they see D&D movie setting up a multiverse with the potential for spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms or other worlds.
According to producer Roy Lee:
“This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”
“I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”