Greyhawk Cities – Eru Tovar
Greyhawk is the original campaign world for Gary Gygax, with stories focusing on the lands of Flanaess, the heroes and villains that inhabit it.
Wolf Nomads have skilled cavalry and ambushers. Politeness is key with Wolf Nomads, who forgive but do not forget rudeness. Wolf Nomads have tolerance for Lycanthropes who control their bestial nature, and exile those who cannot. They are considered chosen, with the context of blessed and cursed.
Eru Tovar is fortified village of huts with a wooded valley. There are many wolves in the area, most are pets and members of the Wolf Nomad tribes. Wolf statues in various poses made from wicker can be around in many places.
Guilds : Long Fang Riders, Cavalry trainers and elite skirmishers.
Temples : Beory, Istus, Trithereon. Beory shrine is a cabin woven from branches. Trithereon temple is a two story stone building with a cellar.
Adventurer/Mercenary – Recruit/Debrief location : Tree house on eastern side of town.
- A pack of Mist Wolves visits the area each spring and autumn, keeping the Nomads safe from Fiends and Undead.
- During the Greyhawk Wars hundreds of Rovers of the Barrens sought refuge from Iuz legions of Fiends and Humanoids, and have become worthy members of the tribes.
- Rite of Passage : At age 12 to 15 each Wolf Nomad must lead a pack to hunt (in the old days they would hunt alone, but the world has become a darker place). They do not have to make a kill, but most find food or wound an enemy. If strangers come to the Wolf Nomads and wish to trade or speak to the leaders but seem suspicious they are often required to undertake the Rite to prove their good intent.
- Shifters : Descended from natural and cursed Werewolves, Shifters are among the Wolf Nomads, often taking the Ambusher roles in patrols. They are not treated any differently to Human Wolf Nomads or refugees from the Rovers of the Barrens.
- Beware the Marshes : Many Wolf Nomad tales revolve around people losing their life, mind or soul in the Cold Marshes to the north of Eru Tovar. Hags, Stirge and Harpies all infest the Cold marshes.
Potential Allies, Contacts, Rivals
- 5e D&D : Ranger-Horde Breaker. Some are Long Fang Riders. Shifters. Enjoy increasing personal challenges.
- Pathfinder : Druid-Storm, mostly Humans. Often nomadic, never in town for long.
Rescue Quest :
- Recruiter/Reward : Local families. Warm meal once a week for a year.
- Quest : Teenagers kidnapped by Iuz cult. Rescue if you dare! Suspect will be sacrificed by new moon- in five days.
- Iuz cult posted scarecrows that look like the heroes around the camp. The scarecrows have all been maimed.
- Non-Combat Challenge – Constant rain, flash flood along a river.
- Traps : Spear traps in three locations around the cultists lair.
- Curve Ball – Some of the teenagers are known to the pcs, and members of the cult. They have gotten sick as the coins Iuz paid them carried a disease.
Exploration Quest :
- Recruiter/Reward : Druid circle. Healing+Neutralise Poison vial each and consideration for further quests.
- Quest : Explore the forbidden valley, see if safe, haunted or infested?
- Heroes are encouraged to make a journal of what the see, take a soil or plant sample or two, and have characters make some kind of map.
- Non-Combat Challenge – Ghost chat-Ancestor of a PC seeks to be reunited with love. Will have to ask around where love was buried.
- Traps : Darkness spell in two areas of the ruins.
- Curve Ball – Crypt Thing in ruins is trapped by Dust Mephits, wants to be free. Oldest PC will have the Crypt Thing speak to them in their dreams.
Uncover Quest :
- Recruiter/Reward : Priest of Pelor, 200 gp and 2D8 healing potion each.
- Quest : Hunt down the Vampire! Foul denizens infesting our homes.
- The weather gets colder, wetter and darker as this goes on. Pelor is not happy.
- Non-Combat Challenge – Persuasive Orcus cult trying to recruit the Vampire and the PC’s, not related to other plot events.
- Curve Ball – Vampire is not killing, drains multiple people, gives them cash.
- Oddity – The heroes find something of value to the Horned Society. Get the players to throw some ideas at you, examples-base locations, agent names, plans for nation X, dirt on Noble Y.
Map : Title map from the amazing Anna Meyer, more of her maps here – https://www.annabmeyer.com/greyhawk-maps/
Other creatures in the area : Minor demons-Recruit folks to Iuz army. Elemental Air-Small, lost it’s way home to the elemental planes. Skeletons-around an evil shrine, will reassemble unless they are burnt.
Want more Greyhawk?
- Greyhawk set – https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17392/World-of-Greyhawk-Fantasy-Game-Setting-1e
- Twitch – https://www.twitch.tv/greyhawkchannel
- Greyhawk Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBR-a2i_-duuw-RUNztOmZw