Storm Edge Campaign Setting 14: Monsters of Eight Isles ‐ Kappa and other water creatures
Welcome back to the world of STORM EDGE: THE ADVENTURES IN EIGHT ISLES! This week, we are introducing some of the new monsters from The Eight Isles that adventures may encounter near rivers, lakes and seas. See below for more.
Kappa, often known as water imps, are little green slippery creatures with beak, shell and webs between their fingers and a hard, bold structure at the top of their head referred to as “plates.” They are commonly seen around rivers and coasts and loves to play tricks on people or challenge whoever they can to a Sumo match. Though they are not big in statue, they are stronger than they look and if whoever lose sumo matches to them do not have anything they like (they like cucumbers) they could turn on you and you might find yourself at the bottom of the river. They are usually in a colony and follows a leader who are often females. Some Kappa are said to be the waiting women of high born lady who has drowned and transformed.
Medium humanoid (Kappa), Chaotic neutral
- Armor Class 16 (Natural Armor)
- Hit Points 22 (4d8+4)
- Speed 30 ft., swim 40 ft.
|14 (+2)||11 (+0)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)||13 (+1)||9 (-1)|
- Skills: Perception +5, Athletics: +4
- Senses: Darkvision 120 Ft., passive Perception 15
- Languages: Common, Kappa
- Challenge rating: 1/2 (100 XP)
- Slippery: Kappa has advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape a Grapple.
- Limited Amphibiousness: The Kappa can breathe air and water, but it needs to be submerged at least once every 4 hours to avoid Suffocating.
- Mutiattack: The Kappa makes two melee attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.
- Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
- Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d4 + 2) slashing damage.
Isonade (Shadow Shark)
Isonade (meaning Shore Petter) or Shadow Shark is a dark, scaly shark-like sea creature with a large tail fin with hook like spikes. They are mostly seen near Magato or any seas with aberrant influences but they can be often seen close to the shore to hunt for preys. Isonade emanate shadow-like aura that makes them very stealthy. They would often get close to an unsuspecting fisher, attack them by surprise using their large hooked tail to “pet” and pull the fishers into seas to feed on. They are feared among seamen who’d tell of this devil shark that appear from the darkness between waves: “It’s too late when you realize they are there!”
Large Aberration, Chaotic evil
- Armor Class 14 (Natural Armor)
- Hit Points 50 (6d12+12)
- Speed 30 ft., swim 40 ft.
|18 (+4)||15 (+2)||12 (+1)||15 (+2)||12 (+1)||4 (-3)|
- Skills Perception +3, Stealth +8
- Senses Blindsight 120 Ft., passive Perception 13
- Challenge 3 (700 XP)
- Echolocation: The Isonade can’t use its Blindsight while Deafened.
- Blood Frenzy: The Isonde has advantage on melee Attack rolls against any creature that doesn’t have all its Hit Points.
- Water Breathing: The Isonade can breathe only Underwater.
- Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 +4) piercing damage.
- Tail: Isonade attacks with tail, reach 10 ft. one target. Hit: 1d8 piercing damage, the target must make DC 12 Dex or Strength is pulled 10 ft. closer.
Glimmer Dragon Wyrmling
Like their adult counterparts, Glimmer Dragon Wyrmlings reside in ponds, marshes and lakes, usually with their parent. They have yet to develop the ability to shape-shift into human form or see into future too much but they are generally friendly, though could very well play tricks on you. They are a good allies to have and often form connection with nearby human community.
Medium dragon, Neutral good
- Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
- Hit Points 38 (7d8+7)
- Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft., swim 30 ft.
|14 (+2)||12 (+1)||13 (+1)||14 (+2)||11 (+0)||14 (+2)|
Saving Throws Dex +3, Con +3, Wis +2, Cha +4
- Skills Perception +4, Stealth +3
- Damage Immunities Acid
- Senses Blindsight 10 Ft., Darkvision 60 Ft., passive Perception 14
- Languages Draconic
- Challenge 3
- Amphibious: The Glimmer Dragon can breathe air and water.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) acid damage.
- Orb Brilliance: Glimmer Dragon Wyrmling can cast the following spells without requiring any material components.Theyir spell casting ability is Charisma (Spell Attack Bonus is +5, and Spell Save DC is 14)
- At Will: Acid Splash, Dancing Light, Druidcraft, Augury, Detect Thoughts
- 1/Day each: Fog Cloud (as 2nd Level Spell), Melf’s Acid Arrow (as 3rd level spell)
- Metal Harvest (Recharge 5-6): The Glimmer Dragon shoots out glimmering blade-like scales to 10-foot radius centering itself. Each creature in that area must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw, taking 18( 4D8 ) piercing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
And one more (though she is more of an NPC)…
Lady of River
Lady of the River is a legendary leader of a Kappa clan in Ukushi, near the port town of Monji. The legend is that she is either a wife or a mother of a famous Heiga clan samurai warrior who were defeated and drawn in the sea north of Magato, the battle that marked the end of the Heiga clan and the infant emperor of their blood. It is said when she followed her husband to the sea, she was transformed into Kappa along with her ladies in waiting and pages, thus becoming progenitors of Kappas in the area. It is said her husband, a renowned warrior, has become a horrifying crab creature along with his men and guard a city under the sea. They say she sings to him every night, dreaming of the day to be reunited with her long lost husband.
Medium humanoid, neutral good
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 119 (14d8 + 56)
Speed 30 ft., swim 60 ft.
|18 (+4)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)||22 (+6)||16(+3)|
- Skills Arcana +9, Deception +6, Insight +7, Perception +9, Persuasion +6
- Condition Immunities: Charmed, Poisoned
- Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
- Languages: Common, Druidic, Aquan
- Challenge: 8
- Amphibious. She can breathe air and water.
- Spellcasting. Lady of River is an 9th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (Spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). She requires no material components to cast her spells. Lady of River has the following Druid spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): shape water, Frostbite, guidance
- 1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, Purify Food and Drink, Create or Destroy Water
- 2nd level (3 slots): Enhance Ability, lesser restoration, Healing Spirit
- 3rd level (3 slots): Tidal Wave, Wall of Water, dispel magic,
- 4th level (3 slots): control water, Conjure Minor Elementals, Blight
- 5h level (1 slots): Greater Restoration, Maelstrom, Geas
- Magic Resistance. Lady of River has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Blood Sense. Lady of River automatically senses the presence of the blood of living creatures within 90 feet and can pinpoint their locations within 30 feet.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (3d8 + 4) slashing damage.
- Siphoning Aura (Recharge 5-6). Lady of River radiates an aura in a 30-foot radius, lasting for 3 rounds, that draws all fluids out through a creature’s mouth, nose, eyes, ears, and pores. Every creature of the hag’s choosing that starts its turn in the affected area takes 18 (4d6 + 4) necrotic damage, or half damage with a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw.