Do you allow feats in your campaigns?
When creating a character in Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition you have the option of taking Feats instead of taking an ability score increase at level 4, 8, 12, 16, 19. There is also an optional rule that allows human characters to take a feat is they are allowed to use the Variant Human Traits (p. 31 of the Player’s Handbook). Some DMs even allow all their players to select a feat at various points in character leveling such as at level 1 and/or level 10.
For my campaign, I am asking my players when selecting a feat to try to select ones that work into their character’s story, rather than simply helping them create the most powerful character possible.
Here are some homebrew feats I created specifically for my Seas of Vodari campaign, which I am in the process of tweaking. Let us know what you think of feats, my rough feats below OR submit your own feats in the comments.
Prerequisite: Sailor Background (includes variants)
Accustomed to fighting on ships, barges or anything else that floats, you gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- You gain a +2 bonus to initiative while standing on anything that is floating on water.
- Climbing doesn’t half your speed.
- You can add your proficiency bonus to any check that involves boarding another sea vessel.
Prerequisite: You are proficient with pistols.
Thanks to extensive practice with guns, you gain the following benefits:
- Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
- When you use the Attack action & attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded pistol you are holding.
- You can use this feat for any pistols you are carrying that are loaded.
Prerequisite: Proficiency with heavy weapons
Your training and experience have combined to allow you to maximize your enemies mistakes. You gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- When using a great weapon or maul and you roll a 19 or 20 on your attack roll, you score a critical hit.
Prerequisite: Dexterity 13 or higher
You are built for speed, so you are built to get out of the way of an attack! Gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- Add +1 bonus to your AC while you are wearing light or no armor. This stacks with any other effect that add to your AC.
- You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws.