Greyhawk is the original campaign world for Gary Gygax, with stories centering on the lands of Flanaess, the heroes and villains that inhabit it.
Today we delve into Sefmur in the nation of Tusmit, north western Greyhawk.
Notes about the region : Arid-Temperate area, Fuedal monarchy with some barons on good terms with nearby Exbir, and others not. Tusmit is harsh on crime and well patrolled by veteran militia. Hundreds of flat-roof brick homes, some minaret towers, some wooden cabins.
Guilds : Large Bard/Sage guild who manage festivals throughout the year.
Temples : Al’Akbar, Istus, Xan Yae.
Features : Many levels of caverns beneath the city.
- Lexus library – Hundreds of tomes here, some dating back over 300 years. Guarded by two Flesh Golems.
- Whispered that some of the nobles manors on Veyron Terrace have subterranean escape tunnels and meeting places.
Monastery : Monastery of the Whirling Claw – Ancient Baklunish martial arts with over 30 active members studying here. The style involves high kicks, cartwheels and spins (youtube Capoeira)
Adventurer/Mercenary Recruit/Debrief location : Several public bathhouses with private rooms.
Potential Allies, Contacts, Rivals
- 5e D&D : Bards of Lore, Mostly Gnomes. Some are very Verbose. Some are allies for the Spring court of the Feywild.
- Pathfinder : Alchemists, mostly Hill Dwarves, wary of the Horned Society.
Adventurer/Mercenary Recruit/Debrief location : North western hill.
Potential Allies, Contacts and Rivals
- 5e D&D : Barbarians of the Primal Path, mostly Hill Dwarves.
- Pathfinder : Oracle, mostly Elves. Advisers to the various clans.
Raid Quest :
- Recruiter/Reward : Horned Society (disguised as Sages), 300 Gp each.
- Quest : Destroy demonic temple in hills. Trickster demons so be careful.
- On the way through the hills the PC’s may find demonic idols and symbols (high knowledge rolls may reveal the idols and symbols are not well made, either they are done by amateurs or simply fake.
- Non-Combat Event – Iggwilv the archmagi meets the heroes, offers 100 gp each for hearts and brains of their foes. Essentially harvest organs for gold.
- Trap : Grease in two locations.
- Curve Ball – Temple is Boccob sages, not harming anyone. They advise someone has been paying groups to raid them.
Investigation Quest :
- Recruiter/Reward : Merchant Guild. 1 of each non magical item in PHB.
- Quest : Circus has come to town, and there is a rash of thefts. The theft items are all small portable things such as jewellery or wands.
- One of the performers is a cousin of a PC. They seek to leave the circus but are contracted to work for another 7 seasons.
- Non-Combat Challenge – Invited to try sword swallowing, trapeze & fire juggling.
- Traps : Alarm, clanking pans and pots makes a bunch of noise.
- Curve Ball – It’s not the performers, its their fans who follow them. The fans are Jackalweres, and worse, they’re teenagers!
Rescue Quest :
- Recruiter/Reward : Pasha (Baron), a 12 room manor house in the city.
- Quest : Accountant has been kidnapped. Search the city for him and return the financial stability to the Pasha he deserves.
- The accountant is well known at several taverns as someone who shouts lavish meals for his friends. The accountant will dress up in disguise and offer to take the heroes to the accountant for a fee!
- Non-Combat Challenge – Otto the Archmage wanders in and interviews each pc about plants they have seen and meals they’ve eaten, he is seeking inspiration for recipes.
- Curve Ball – The accountant kidnapped himself to gain more funds out of the Pasha. Also the accountant can reveal the Pasha is paying for seven illegitimate children (to different harem ladies).
Other creatures in the area : Animated Armor-Guarding a battle site. Mummy-Seeking new minions to help it reclaim its former empire-Baklunish ruins in hills. Peguses-Flies over PCs to warn of danger.
Want more Greyhawk?