During the Stream of Annilhilation event this weekend in Seattle, Wizards of the Coast announced Tomb of Annilihation, the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons which will be out in stores this fall. Tomb of Annihilation has players hacking through the jungles of Chult which are fill of undead, dinosaurs and even undead dinosaurs to find a legendary artifact to end a death curse.
From the Press Release:
Tomb of Annihilation kicks off with the discovery of a curse that’s afflicting people who have been raised from the dead. Their bodies are slowly deteriorating – skin, hair, and flesh falling off their bones. Strong divinations point to the source of this curse in the jungle peninsula of Chult, a rich land filled with evil snake people, flying aarakocra and pterafolk, and the remains of a vast army of the undead. Adventurers tasked with stopping the curse must travel to settlements such as Port Nyanzaru to secure guides to lead them into the dense jungle. At the end of the journey, a horrifying villain awaits with a familiar visage. Will you survive?
Mike Mearls, D&D’s lead designer, described Tomb of Annihilation as “Indiana Jones meets zombies”, set in a Land of the Lost full of volcanoes, jungle and dinosaurs.
Some details about this new product:
- Adventure for Levels 1 to 11
- Coming September 19, 2017 and it will cost US$49.95 (C$65.95). It will be out in game stores on September 8, 2017
- Set in the Chult, a southern continent in the Forgotten Realms
- Yes, that is the Lich from the cover of the Dungeon Master’s Guide
- Tomb of Annihilation is also the long awaited adventure that Adventure Time’s creator Penn Ward was called in as a consultant.
- Neverwinter, D&D’s MMORPG game, will also receive a Tomb of Annihilation expansion. Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios are bringing Tomb of Annihilation to Neverwinter, the free-to-play MMO based on Dungeons & Dragons. Look for Neverwinter: Tomb of Annihilation to debut on PC July 25, and on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 soon after.
- Tomb of Annihilation will be available on the digital tabletops Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds in September 2017.
- Fans will be able to play D&D Adventurer’s League modules created for Tomb of Annihilation at Origins Game Fair in June and at Hascon in September 8
- In September 2017, Wizards of the Coast will release a Tomb of Annihilation Dice set in a specially designed metal container embossed with the classic green devil face.
- Coming on July 26, 2017 from WizKids is a new Icons of the Realms set of miniatures for Tomb of Annihilation, including a stone juggernaut, pterafolk and an incentive pack featuring the green devil face.
- WizKids is making a brand-new Adventure System board game for Tomb of Annihilation that’s compatible with all previous Adventure System board games, available September 2017.
- WizKids will release a set for Dice Masters based on the storyline in September 2017.
- This Fall, Gale Force Nine will be releasing three new unpainted figures for D&D Collector’s Series, including a stack of three Batiri goblins and a dinosaur rider.
- A new Dungeon Masters Screen created especially by Gale Force Nine for Tomb of Annihilation will be available this September.
- Tomb of Annihilation will be the first adventure for fifth edition D&D officially translated into multiple languages by Gale Force Nine, available later this year.
From the Official Product Page:
Dare to defy death in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.
The talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone who’s ever been raised from the dead. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied.
When they finally succumb, they can’t be raised—and neither can anyone else, regardless of whether they’ve ever received that miracle in the past. Temples and scholars of divine magic are at a loss to explain a curse that has affected the entire region, and possibly the entire world.
The cause is a necromantic artifact called the Soulmonger, which is located somewhere in Chult, a mysterious peninsula far to the south, ringed with mountains and choked with rainforests.
Adventure design by Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, and Steve Winter, with additional design by Adam Lee. Story consulting by the award-winning creator of Adventure Time, Pendleton Ward.
Visit the official product page