Added: Just got the official press release. I have added the details to this story. It looks like we’re getting content for DMs and players. Most interesting is that it looks like we’re getting notes on running higher tier play, which Meals referred to as level 10 and higher. What we do know is the book will have lots of CR 10+ monsters.
We’re a month into 2018 and we hadn’t heard anything about the 2018 books since back in November at Gamehole 2017. Back then, we learned 3 books were coming out in 2018 codenamed Marathon, Broadway and Catacomb. We were told that Marathon would be a 192 page “D&D accessory” and would be released on May 29, 2018.
Like Volo and Xanathar, Mordenkainen is another personality that the D&D team is employing to host this Tome of Foes. Mordenkainen hails from the City of Greyhawk and has become an expert on the multiverse.
- The title is Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes
- There will be a regular and variant cover (same as previous books such as Volo and Xanathar)
- The cost will be US$49.95
- The release date is still May 29th, 2018 and May 18th, 2018 in game stores
- The page count has been updated to 256 pages and it has been confirmed that it will be a hardcover
- Limited edition cover will be available in game stores May 18th, 2018
What is Contains
- New monsters at the table, many CR 10 and higher.
- Tons of storytelling information on some of the most contentious relationships in the multiverse. You learn about the schism between:
- drow and other elves
- githyanki and githzerai
- dwarves and duergar
- Blood War between demons and devils.
- Inspiration and greater challenges for players who have reached higher levels of play
- story hooks to use with their characters
- player options for races like tieflings, elves, githyanki and githzerai
Hobby Store Exclusive
Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes also comes in a limited edition format exclusive to core hobby stores, featuring an alternative-art cover beautifully illustrated by Vance Kelly.
As with past releases, we’ll see video support from the team to promote and tease this book.
The Dungeons & Dragons team will be talking about Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on twitch.tv/dnd in the coming months.
- D&D Beyond
Look for Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford to offer more insight on what’s in the book on Dragon Talk at 2pm PT on Monday, Feb 5th and for follow-up interviews with the team on the D&D Beyond YouTube channel.
Here’s the official product blurb that is showing up on book sites:
Discover the truth about the great conflicts of the D&D multiverse in this supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.
This tome is built on the writings of the renowned wizard from the world of Greyhawk, gathered over a lifetime of research and scholarship. In his travels to other realms and other planes of existence, he has made many friends, and has risked his life an equal number of times, to amass the knowledge contained herein.
In addition to Mordenkainen’s musings on the endless wars of the multiverse, the book contains game statistics for dozens of monsters: new demons and devils, several varieties of elves and duergar, and a vast array of other creatures from throughout the planes of existence.