Welcome back to the world of STORM EDGE: THE ADVENTURES IN EIGHT ISLES! Last week, we introduced the lore and variations of each races in The Eight Isles (Click here for refresher). In it, we have briefly touched on how Dragonborns in The Eight Isles are called Ryujin and substantially different from their counterparts in other worlds (just like their Dragon ancestors are). This week we are delving deeply into one of the new race options for The Eight Isles: RYUJIN!
(If you want to know more on the history of The Eight Isles, see here (part1) and here (part2), and for it’s various locations and culture, here. And on more about how various races are in this setting, click here.)
Ryujin all possess a jewel-like structure called an Orb on their chest, with the color varying depending on their ancestry. Instead of breath weapons, Ryujin possess innate magical abilities attributed to their orbs and they often look more human than traditional Dragonborn (of course some could look more like their Draconic ancestors too if you prefer that). Their eye and hair color match their Orbs, which is determined by their ancestry (and there are largely eight types of Ryujin). Additionally, they have scales covering some parts of their body part of torso, shoulder, back and legs. parts of necks and face too sometime), a tail with a bushy end, and a pair of little antlers instead of horns on the side of their head. (*See below for more.)
- Ability Score Increase.Depends on the Draconic Ancestry:
Thunder, Wind: Dexterity +2, Charisma +1
Fire, Water: Strength +2, Charisma +1
Blossom, Mountain: Wisdom +2, Charisma +1
Celestial, Glimmer: Intelligence +2, Charisma +1
- Age.Young Ryujin grow quickly. They walk hours after hatching, attain the size and development of a 10-year-old human child by the age of 5, and reach adulthood by 15. They live to be around 200.
- Alignment.Ryujin in The Eight Isles, like their ancestors, generally tend to be of Good or Neutral alignments. They do not share the same sense of morality as other humanoids do are rarely Lawful or Chaotic. They tend to be above the fray in many ways.
- Size:Ryujin are tall and slim and tend to have a denser makeup than humans. They typically stand well over 6 feet tall and average almost 250 pounds. They are considered size Medium.
- Speed:A Ryujin base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision:Ryujin can see in dim light within 60 feet of them as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. They can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Damage Resistance:Ryujin have resistance to the damage type associated with their ancestry
- Orb Brilliance:The orb on Ryujin breasts imbues them with innate draconic magic. Called Orb Brilliance, this ability lets Ryujin cast Cantrips and Spells described in the list that follows at 1st level, at 3rd Level (as a 2nd level spell), and at 5th level (as a 3rd Level spell). These spells can be cast once per long rest and the spell casting ability for these spells is Charisma. In addition, once during each of your turns when you hit with an attack roll of your Damage Type determined by your Draconic Ancestry, you can deal extra damage to the target equal to your proficiency bonus.
- Draconic Ancestry:Each Ryujin is distantly related to a particular type of dragon. The list below shows the different dragon types, the accompanying type of Orb Brilliance, and the type of resistance gained.
|Dragon Type||Damage Type||Orb Brilliance|
|Blossom||Poison||1st Level: Infestation
3rd Level: Charm Person (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level; Spike Growth
|Glimmer||Acid||1st Level: Acid Splash
3rd Level: Fog Cloud (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level Spell: Melf’s Acid Arrow (as 3rd level spell)
|Celestial||Radiant||1st Level: Word of Radiance
3rd Level: Color Spray (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level: Moonbeam (as 3rd Level Spell)
|Water||Cold||1st Level: Frostbite
3rd Level: Create or Destroy Water (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm (as 3rd Levl Spell)
|Mountain||Bludgeoning||1st Level: Mold Earth
3rd Level: Earth Tremor (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level: Maximillian’s Earthen Grasp
|Thunder||Thunder||1st Level: Thunderclap
3rd Level: Thunderwave (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level: Shatter (as 3rd Level Spell)
|Wind||Lightning||1st Level: Lightning Lure
3rd Level: Witch Bolt (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th: Gust of Wind
|Fire||Fire||1st Level: Fire Bolt
3rd Level: Burning Hands (as 2nd Level Spell)
5th Level: Scorching Ray (as 3rd Level Spell)
Dragonborn Racial Feats Adjustments for Ryujin
The following adjustments are made for the Dragonborn Racial Features when applied to Ryujin.
Dragon Fear > Dragon Awe
When angered, your eyes glow, radiating awe-inspiring aura. You gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Strength or Charisma score by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
- You Can force each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier). A target automatically succeeds if it can’t hear or see you. On a failed save, a target becomes frightened for 1 minute. If the frightened target takes any damage, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. After using this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Dragon Hide > Dragon Scale
You inherited the integrity and majesty of your dragon ancestors. You gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Wisdom or Charisma score by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
- You grow retractable claws from the tips of your fingers. Extending or retracting the claws requires no action. The claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
- Your scales harden; you gain a +1 bonus to AC while you aren’t wearing armor.
Dragon Wings > Dragon Flight
You have inherited the ancestral ability for flight. You have a flying speed of 30 feet if you aren’t wearing heavy armor and aren’t exceeding your carrying capacity