Welcome back to the world of STORM EDGE: THE ADVENTURES IN EIGHT ISLES! This week, we are delving into Ryujin counter parts in The Eight Isles, KIJIN, the descendants of the Great Horned Giants. Unlike Goliathes though, there are more variety to Kijin and while the most common types also live in high mountains, the other types live in various different environments. Like Goliathes, they are tall and mostly rough hewn (though there are exceptions). They tend to stay in the communities of their own and rarely interact with other humanoids though there are exceptions. Often, they will be sent on a quest to vanquish certain Oni that have wreaked havoc in the lands and can be the fiercest of companions. Like their ancestors they have horns, though not as numeral or large.
(If you want to know more on the history of The Eight Isles, see here (part1) and here (part2), and for it’s various locations and culture, here. And on more about how various races are in this setting, click here.)
- Ability Score Increase.Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 1 up to a maximum of 20 (see below for subraces)
- Age.Kijin have lifespans comparable to humans. They enter adulthood in their late teens and usually live less than a century.
- Alignment.Kijin society, with its clear roles and tasks, has a strong lawful bent. The Kijin sense of fairness, balanced with an emphasis on self-sufficiency and personal accountability, pushes them toward neutrality.
- Size:Kijin are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.
- Speed.Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Natural Athlete.You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
- Powerful Build You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity, and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
- LanguageYou speak Common and Giant.
Kijin, like Goliaths, are half-giants and as such there are different types of Kijins hailing from different types of Horned Giants. Choose your ancestry from the following list. . Kijin typically look like the type of the Horned Giants of their heritages. However, while they have 1-3 horns usually, they do not have extra heads, limbs or eyes normally.
- Ability Score Increase.Your Intelligence Score increases by 1 up to a maximum of 20.
- Carmine Prominence.As an action, you can emit an aura of flame at all creatures within 5 feet of you. They must succeed in a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. The flame does not harm your equipment but it may light on fire anything flammable within 5 feet of you. The flame sheds bright light in a 10 foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet. The flame and light last until the beginning of your next turn. The damage increases to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th level, and 4d8 at 17th level. The DC for this ability equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier. After you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
- Unflinching Will. You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened or charmed.
- Habitats: The most studious of their kinds, many Carmen Kijin lives within volcanic mountains serving the guarding horned giants of the peaks.
- Ability Score Increase.Your Strength Score increases by 1 up to a maximum of 20.
- Cobalt Ferocity.As a free action, you gain advantage in Initiative rolls and may add your proficiency bonus to the damages of your attacks with weapons for one round. After you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Military Training. You are proficient in Katana, Naginata, Dragon Halberd, and Longbow.
- Habitats: The most martial of their kinds, many Cobalt Kijin lives in rocky mountains, forming their own militia around the guardian horned giants of the peaks.
- Ability Score Increase.Your Constitution Score increases by 1 up to a maximum of 20.
- Alabaster Endurance.You can pull from your inner vitality to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Vital Sensuality. You exude an aura of undeniable virility that attracts those around you. You can use Charm Person once per long rest with Constitution as the Spell Casting Ability.
- Habitats: Most numerous of their kinds, Alabaster Kijin lives in lush mountains alongside and in harmony with the guardian horned giants of the peaks.
- Ability Score Increase.Your Charisma Score increases by 1 up to a maximum of 20.
- Malachite Vigilance.You gain proficiency in Insight and Perception.
- Fearsome Presence.When you make an Intimidation or a Persuasion check, you can do so with advantage once per short or long rest.
- Habitats: Most fearsome of their kinds, Malachite Kijin roams the untamed wild, always in vigilance, looking out for the guardian horned giants of the peaks.
- Ability Score Increase.Your Wisdom Score increases by 1 up to a maximum of 20.
- Obsidian Absorption.You can eat raw or spoiled food and gain nourishment from it. You can also consume and digest any organic material that would normally cause sickness or death.
- Enlightening Bolt.As an action, you hurl a lightning bolt at a creature within 120 feet of you. The target must make a Dexterity saying throw and take 2d6 lightning damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. After you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Habitats: Most wise of their kinds, Obsidian Kijin lives in shadows of dark mountains with permanent storm clouds, mediating along the guardian horned giants of the peaks.